As a therapist in private practice I have noticed a dip in the amount of clients who want to continue therapy in the summer as well as the number of new inquiries I receive. I have also noticed that others therapists are posting less referrals in the groups that I belong to. Why does there seem to be a dip in the number of people wanting to engage in therapy in the summer? As a client does it make sense to put your therapy sessions on pause during the summer months? If you’re just starting therapy, is summer a good time to get going?
Below is a list of things to help to figure out whether or not these options are a good fit for you.
Putting therapy on Pause:
Are things that tend to cause you stress and anxiety lessened during the summer?
- Do you not work or work less in the summer?
- Do you have more vacation time booked?
- Do you tend to just be more relaxed in the summer?
- Is the increased amount of sunlight and daylight good for your mental health?
Will you or your therapist be unavailable a lot?
- Are you away on vacation quite a bit and not available?
- Is your therapist away on vacation and not available?
- Are you and your therapist not able to get your schedules to match up?
Do you want to work on a difficult topic (such as trauma, healing from a relationship)?
- It might be best to start this during a time where other stressors are lessened
- This will allow you to focus on the topic without external stressors interfering
- You can learn and practice coping strategies
Do you feel less in crisis mode in the summer?
- It is much easier to start therapy during a period that is calmer
- This allows you to process things more easily
- You can learn and practice coping strategies when you’re not in crisis you can use them more effectively during a crisis
I hope that you find this helpful in determining whether or not pausing or starting therapy in the summer makes sense for you. If you choose to start therapy I have lots of availability so please e-mail me at email@example.com to book a FREE 15 minute consultation today!